Prepare your Body for the Cold Winter Days
with this Traditional Recipe
As you might know i also love to cook, i thought i write down a recipe for people who like that and it’s not easy to find healthy, but also good recipes. I found some old recipes which i sometimes try out. This is one of them. Love everything about pumpkin, just the cutting can be difficult......therefore i ask a man to cut the hard parts :-)
Halloween time and even november, what a great period! Everyone loves to make scary faces out of pumpkin, but what to do with the pumpkin pieces itself you cut out? No worries, you can make anything with Pumpkin, from mousse to muffins, pies, risotto etc....
Or you did not cut out faces out of your pumpkin and it’s still there as decoration. What to do now? Just make delicious Pumpkin Pie.
What you need
800 gr Hokkaido Pumpkin (or the taste you like)
You can also use butternut pumpkin
300 gr onions
2 garlic pieces
4 twigs thyme
4 tablespoons olive oil
150 ml white wine
1 tablespoon Agave sirup
200 ml vegetable bouillon
1 bay leaf
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon soft mustard
450 gr or 1 rol puff pastry + some extra for decoration
3 tablespoons whipped cream (not whipped by you)
Pie dish approximately 25 cm
1. Clean a good tasty pumpkin, cut in pieces and remove all the inside that is not eatable, like the wires and seeds. Be sure you remove all the wires, nothing worse than having this in the mouth!
2. Then cut the pumpkin into eatable blocks about 2 cm. I use my Genius Nicer Dicer Plus for that. it goes really fast that way. See message below.
3. Clean the onion and also put in pieces, not too thin. Just eatable. Cut the garlic in small pieces + cut thyme fine. Do all this you have been cutting in a casserole filled with 4 tablespoons olive oil. You will smell the herbs and garlic so well. Stir this all together for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the wine, Agave sirup and stir for 1 minute more.
5. Then add the vegetable bouillon, bay leaf and some mustard (at own taste). Let it all come to cook and let it cook a bit further for 5 minutes in open casserole. Pumpkin does not need long cooking, or you could overcook it and that’s not tasty anymore.
6. Add everything to a Pie dish (also the bay leaf), i bought one especially to make this pie from Emile Henry. It’s 26 cm diameter. See info below.
7. roll out the puff paste or pastry so that it will be 2 to 3 cm larger than the dish itself. Do not leave paper on it. Then hover the dish with the puff pastry......you can also add some decoration cutted out by the shape you like. I used the Mushroom cutter.
8. Combine the egg yolk with the whipped cream till it’s smooth and put some of this mixture on the edge of the dish with a brush (so the pastry holds well to the dish). Do not use it all, you will need some at the end. In the meanwhile pre-heat the oven at 200°C.
9. Finally hover the dish with the pastry you rolled out. Push good to the sides, so it will not open during the baking. Remember it has to go over the size of the dish and stick to the outside of the dish on the sides. Then add some decoration pastry of you want and the rest of the egg yolk mixture as finishing touch. Put it in the middle of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Till it’s golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately. Remember not to cut with a knife into the dish, as that’s not good for the ceramic. As the pastry easily breaks, since its crispy, you can easily do that with the serving spoon.
Of course everyone who cooks wants to have the right equipment and it does not have to be expensive. I have been searching for a good Pie dish. One that has quality and i came across Emile Henry which is a french brand.
Since 1850, their products have been designed and produced in France, in the south of Burgundy. Their Savoir-faire has been handed down from generation to generation and is a pledge of quality and technical skills. Only natural products are used in their dishes and most of the production techniques are carried out by hand, requiring a real savoir-faire.
Each piece is unique and is signed by the worker who made it. You will find his initials engraved on the bottom of your product. As Emile Henry products are then checked manually, in order to respect their strick production requirements. The result is a high quality and healthy ceramic which diffuses the heat gently and evenly to enhance the flavors and aromas of the ingredients.
You can buy the Pumpkin dish for Europe HERE on sale now.
For US HERE.
Genius Nicer Dicer Plus
I find this a big help in the kitchen really. You can cut anything!
The Nicer Dicer Plus multi-chopper set has everything you need for cutting, dicing, grating, and slicing! Chop onions, zucchini, peppers, celery, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, cheese, and fruits--then watch as the ingredients transfer instantly from the cutting surface into the bowl below. There's no hassle, and no mess! From Genius.
- One plug-in cutting stamp for wedge blades
- One cutting base with removable top lid
- One six-cup container with lid
- One grater with protective cover
- Two dual blades for cutting cubes: 1/4" or 1/2" square blade; 3/4" or 1-1/2" x 1/4" square blade
- One wedge blade
- One slicer with blade protector
- One food holder for slicer
- One partial blade cover
- Measures 11"W x 5"H x 4-1/2"L
- Dishwasher safe